I do have a new pair of pants, and if public opinion counts for anything, they were a successful make. But we’ll get back to that. I want to share the process that took me from thinking about making pants, to doing it.
Naturally, it started with a skirt. I’m working with McCall’s pattern 6361 which includes shorts, capris and a skirt. Since I’ve already worked out the fit of an a-line skirt, I decided to use this silhouette to try out a fly zipper (new to me). Mostly following the directions in the pattern insert, I also searched the internet and found a tutorial on Melissa Mora’s blog. I considered this one a wearable muslin, as I made it in a home decorating cotton fabric of indeterminate age that came from a local estate sale.
Not content to quit with one practice garment, and also wanting to enlarge my pockets (I have big hands) and practice belt loops, I made another one. OK, making another skirt delayed the inevitable challenge of fitting my new trousers.
With two skirts under my belt, I decided the next step toward well-fitting pants would be well-fitting shorts. I cut out the shorts pattern in a vertical stripe fabric which was leftover from… shorts I made a couple years ago. They actually turned out pretty well, and I was really pleased with the fit until I considered how much stretch is in this mystery fabric. I could wear the original shorts once before they stretched out to be too big to stay up on their own. This didn’t bode well for pants made in a non-stretch fabric, so it was back to the drawing board.